2008 Primary Voter Guide

What's in this Guide

Information About Voting

District Court Judges

Kalamazoo County Sheriff

State Representative, 61 District

Kalamazoo County Commission,
Districts 6, 12 & 15

Polling Places


Vote Tuesday August 5, 2008
Polls Open 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Who May Vote?
All U.S. citizens at least 18 years of age by election day, who are registered at least 30 days before the election.

The procedure involves four steps:

  1. Complete an application to vote.
  2. An election inspector checks your name against the list of registered voters
    for the precinct.
  3. Show photo identification or sign an affidavit stating that you’re eligible to vote.
  4. Vote.

You may receive assistance when voting from anyone except an employer, union or their representatives. Election officials may assist you, in which case two inspectors (one from each major political party) will give assistance.

The League of Women Voters Kalamazoo Area Education Fund has provided
financial support for LWV voter service efforts, including this Voter Guide.

Write-in Candidates
To vote for a person whose name is not printed on the ballot, write the name of that person in the blank space provided for that office and darken the oval.
Votes for write-in candidates are counted only for persons who have declared their intent, at the appropriate jurisdiction, to be write-in candidates by 4 p.m. on the second Friday preceding the election (July 25).

Editors’ Note
The League of Women Voters of the Kalamazoo Area (LWVKA) contacted local city and/or county clerks to identify proposals and candidates who will be on the ballot. Included were those known to have filed a declaration of intent to be write-in candidates at the time of printing this Voter Guide. We sought biographical information and answers to issue questions from each candidate. The word number limit for biographical information is 75 words unless otherwise indicated; limits for other answers accompany the questions for each office. An ellipsis and ending period (...) closes candidates’ statements where their submitted responses exceeded those set limits. Responses were edited for spelling. “Did not respond in time for publication” or “Did not respond to question” follows the candidate’s name when LWVKA did not receive a requested reply.
Candidates in partisan races are listed according to the order in which their parties registered in Michigan. Other candidates are in alphabetical order, according to the office being sought. The League of Women Voters of Michigan provided information, if any, about national and state candidates.
LWVKA publication of these candidate statements and opinions is solely in the interest of public service. No one should construe this service as a League endorsement in any way. The League of Women Voters takes no responsibility for any of the views or facts stated by the candidates.

Absentee Ballots
A voter may apply for an absentee ballot by 2:00 pm the Saturday before the election, either by letter or in person at the appropriate city or township clerk’s office. In case of emergency after that day, contact the clerk’s office.
You are eligible to vote absentee if you:

  • are 60 years of age or more.
  • expect to be absent from the area during the time the polls are open.
  • are unable to go to the polls and vote without the assistance of another person.
  • cannot attend the polls because of your
    religious beliefs.
  • are an election inspector in another precinct.
  • are confined in jail or prison awaiting
    arraignment or trial.

How do I receive the ballot?
You can obtain an absent voter ballot by writing to the clerk of the city or township in which you are registered to vote. Ballots cannot be supplied through telephone requests. Your written request must include:

  • Your name
  • The date of the election
  • The address where you are registered to vote.
  • The reason why you are requesting an absent voter ballot.
  • The address where you wish to receive your ballot. (This must be your registration address, an address outside of your jurisdiction of registration, a hospital, or some other type of residential institution.)
  • Your signature and the date of your request.
    Blank absent voter ballot applications can be obtained through your city or township clerk.
  • Members of the armed forces and their spouses and dependents, members of the Merchant Marine and their spouses and dependents, and U.S. citizens temporarily living or traveling outside the territorial limits of the United States must sign the Federal Post Card Application under oath to obtain an absent voter ballot.

When must absent voter ballots be returned
to the clerk?

Voters may cast their absentee ballots in the clerk’s office until 4:00 pm on Monday before the election. Ballots must be received in the clerk’s office by 8:00 p.m. on election day. There are instructions included with the ballot regarding who is eligible to return a ballot on behalf of a voter. For further information, contact the Kalamazoo County Clerk (383-8840) or your city or township clerk.

For questions relating to the election process, contact your local Clerk or visit the Michigan Secretary of State website

Alamo Township — Garilyn Sportel-Bogard 382-3366
Brady Township — Cande Vermeulen 649-1813
Charleston Township — Linda Kramer 665-7805
Climax Township — Marcia Lewis 746-4103
Comstock Township — Anna Scott Goodsell, CMC 381-2360
Cooper Township — Bonnie L. Sytsma 382-0223
Kalamazoo Township — Donald Z. Thall, CMC 381-8080
Oshtemo Township — Deborah L. Everett, CMC 375-4260
Pavilion Township — Karen E. Hayward 327-0462
Prairie Ronde Township — Michael Rochholz 679-5666
Richland Township — Jacqueline Light 629-4921
Ross Township — Martha Chambers 731-4888
Schoolcraft Township — Virginia M. Mongreig 649-1276
Texas Township — Linda M. Kerr, CMC 375-1591
Wakeshma Township — Jerry Hamelink 778-3728
Galesburg City — Debbie Miner, CMC 665-7000
Kalamazoo City — Scott A. Borling, CMC 337-8793
TDD 1-800-649-3777
Parchment City — Curtis Flowers, CMC 349-3785
Portage City — James R. Hudson, CMC 329-4511